Jewish Heritage Excursion
116/101 USD pp
During this one day program you will get to know:
- Present and past history of St Petersburg and its founder Peter the Great
- St Petersburg as the cultural capital of Russia and the Soviet Union
- The life of the Jewish community in St. Petersburg during the present and past
- History and culture of the Jewish people on the territory of Russia.
- Soviet Regime: Lenin and Stalin
- Modern life in Russia and St Petersburg: transportation, housing, educational system, health care system, family life – don’t hesitate to ask any questions
|8:30 am||Meeting your guide near your ship (please, note start time of the tour is given approximately and will be adjusted depending on your ship arrival time). The guide of this tour will be either of Jewish origin or closely connected with the Jewish community.|
|8:30 am – 10:00 am||City tour with the visit to the Grand Synagogue. Tour of the Grand Choral Synagogue . During this tour you will learn a lot about the life of Jewish community in St Petersburg in present and in the past. You will drive by the old district of Kolomna (which was the center of Jewish life in the 19th century). It was here that the Great Choral Synagogue was built. St Petersburg Conservatory (photo stop), founded by Anton Rubinstein in the 19th century with a lot of outstanding Jewish graduates such as Heinrich Veniavski, Leopold Auer, Yasha Heifetz, Yefrem Cimbalist, and Misha Elman, Downtown, there are some historical sights associated with the first Jews of the 18th century. The ornate Palaces of the Ginzburgs and the Polyakovs, (drive by) the two powerful dynasties of Jewish bankers and industrialists. Nevsky Prospekt, the city’s central street has the Vavelberg Bank building constructed for the Vavelberg, the wealthiest bankers of Poland, and other famous structures. You will also see the Academy of Fine Arts (photo stop), a lot of famous Russian-Jewish painters graduated from it, like Isaac Levitan and Marc Chagal|
|10:00 am – 12:30 pm||Guided tour of the State Hermitage Museum (early admission). Winter Palace Staterooms. Italian High Renaissance art, Rembrandt's paintings, the collection of Dutch and Flemish masters etc. In order to minimize the flow of tourists inside the museum, the Hermitage authorities reserve the right to adjust the entrance time slot.|
|12:30 pm - 1:30 pm||Lunch (expenses not included)|
|2:00 pm - 3:00 pm||A visit to the Jewish community center (either MAOR or ESOD)|
|3:30 pm - 4:30 pm||The Jewish section at the Russian Museum of Ethnography where you can learn about history and culture of the Jewish people on the territory of Russia (closed on Monday). On Monday we can visit the cemetery where famous people are buried including world-famous Jewish people like Rubenstein etc.|
|4:30 pm - 6:00 pm||Continuation of the city tour.|
|6:00 pm||Return to the ship|
*The order of museum visits and the time spent at each venue may vary depending on ticket availability, museums’ days-off, and the traffic situation in the city.
|The number of people||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14||15||16||17||18||19||20|
|Price in USD p/p||590||380||315||250||227||205||200||195||187||180||175||170||165||160||150||140||139||138||137||136|
|The number of people||21||22||23||24||25||26||27||28||29||30||31||32||33||34||35||36||37||38||39||40+|
|Price in USD p/p||135||134||133||132||131||130||129||128||127||126||125||124||123||122||121||120||119||118||117||116|
- Admission fees to all museums in the program
- Guide’s services for 1 day
- Driver’s services for 1 day (Comfortable car (Mercedes or VW)/mini van with A/C)
- A Permit for photo/video at the museums
- All port fees
- All local taxes
- Blanket visa
- Bottled water
Price doesn’t include:
- Cost of lunch. It's recommended to add lunch if your group is 8 people+. The additional cost is $20 per person per lunch/ or $10 per person per packed lunch
- Tips for guide (10% of the tour cost) and driver (5% of the tour cost)
- The tour is free for children up to 6 y.o. Children (7 - 17 y.o.)/Students get 15 USD off the tour price. Students must have an ISIC card, otherwise the discount is not available.
- If the hydrofoil ride is cancelled due to the unfavorable weather conditions it is not refunded: we use our van instead to get to/from Peterhof
- Gratuities to the guide and driver are not included in the tour price. The sum you wish to give to your guide and driver after a well-done tour should be up to the western standards (approximately 15%). It is a good idea to divide gratuity between your guide and driver and give it separately to them: 10% to the guide and 5% to the driver. Please have some cash with you (USD, EUR or RUB) for this reason, but it is always up to you!
- Please, ensure that you make your booking at least 4-5 days prior to your ship's arrival to St. Petersburg. The port authorities require all passport information in advance and late bookings sent in less than 4 days will be rejected.