Jewish Heritage Excursion
Adults/Children price from
116/101 USD pp
- Enjoy a guided tour in the Hermitage museum
- See a the Jewish quarter and get inside the Grand Choral Synagogue
- Learn about history and everyday life of Jews in Russia
- See the most famous sites in St. Petersburg related to Jewish heritage
- Transport by A/C coach
- Professional Tour Guide
- A visit to the Jewish community center
- Top Attractions: Hermitage,Jewish Quarter, Grand Choral Synagogue, Palaces of the Ginzburgs and the Polyakovs, Russian Museum of Ethnography, Church on the Spilled Blood, etc.
According to the Russian legislation a licensed tour operator has the right to arrange visa-free tours for cruise passengers arriving to St. Petersburg port. TJ Travel is an officially registered tour operator authorized to issue blanket visas. You will receive your free blanket visas (tour tickets) through email once you book a shore excursion with us. Please ignore warnings from your cruise ship company indicating that only a cruise ship company is allowed to operate visa-free tours in St. Petersburg. Warnings/notifications of that kind don’t have any legitimate basis.
To join our tours you must print out blanket visas received via email from TJ Travel and bring it along with your passport on the day of your tour. Blanket visas and your passports should be presented to an immigration officer on duty during disembarkation/embarkation in St. Petersburg.
A 20% deposit must be paid 30 days prior to the day of your tour. The remaining balance is due upon your arrival to St. Petersburg;
If you or any other member of your party decides to cancel your confirmed booking you must notify us in writing. Deposits are fully refundable 72 hours prior to the date of your (first) tour; deposits are non-refundable within 72 hours prior to the date of your (first) tour. In case of no-show, no refund is granted.
- Not available on Mondays (The Hermitage and the Russian Museum of Ethnography are closed on Mondays)
- The Grand Choral Synagogue is closed on Saturdays
- Please ensure to make your booking at least 4-5 days prior to your ship's arrival to St. Petersburg. The port authorities require all passport information in advance, and the bookings sent in less than 4 days prior to arrival will be rejected.
- Please, note that in case the Hermitage is overcrowded, museum authorities may limit the entrance which cause an extra waiting time – up to 30 min.
Tips and Discounts
- Children (7 - 17 y.o.)/students get 15 USD off the tour price. Students must have an ISIC card, otherwise the discount is not available.
- Gratuities to the guide and driver are not included in the tour price. The sum you wish to give to your guide and driver after a well-done tour should be up to the western standards (approximately 15%). It is a good idea to divide gratuity between your guide and driver and give it separately to them: 10% to the guide and 5% to the driver. Please have some cash with you (USD, EUR or RUB) for this reason, but it is always up to you!
Meeting your guide near your ship.
(please, note start time of the tour is given approximately and will be adjusted depending on your ship arrival time). The guide of this tour will be either of Jewish origin or closely connected with the Jewish community.
8:30 am – 10:00 am
City tour with a visit to the Grand Synagogue.
Tour of the Grand Choral Synagogue*. During this tour you will learn a lot about the life of Jewish community in St Petersburg in present and in the past. You will drive by the old district of Kolomna (which was the center of Jewish life in the 19th century). It was here that the Great Choral Synagogue was built. St Petersburg Conservatory (photo stop), founded by Anton Rubinstein in the 19th century with a lot of outstanding Jewish graduates such as Heinrich Veniavski, Leopold Auer, Yasha Heifetz, Yefrem Cimbalist, and Misha Elman, Downtown, there are some historical sights associated with the first Jews of the 18th century. The ornate Palaces of the Ginzburgs and the Polyakovs, (drive by) the two powerful dynasties of Jewish bankers and industrialists. Nevsky Prospekt, the city’s central street has the Vavelberg Bank building constructed for the Vavelberg, the wealthiest bankers of Poland, and other famous structures. You will also see the Academy of Fine Arts (photo stop), a lot of famous Russian-Jewish painters graduated from it, like Isaac Levitan and Marc Chagal
10:00 am – 12:30 pm
Guided tour of the State Hermitage Museum(early admission)..
Winter Palace Staterooms. Italian High Renaissance art, Rembrandt's paintings, the collection of Dutch and Flemish masters etc. In order to minimize the flow of tourists inside the museum, the Hermitage authorities reserve the right to adjust the entrance time slot.
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Lunch (expenses not included)
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
A visit to the Jewish community center (either MAOR or ESOD)
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
The Jewish section at the Russian Museum of Ethnography where you can learn about history and culture of the Jewish people on the territory of Russia (closed on Monday)..
On Monday we can visit the cemetery where famous people are buried including world-famous Jewish people like Rubenstein etc.
4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Continuation of the city tour.
Return to the ship
*The order of museum visits and the time spent at each venue may vary depending on ticket availability, museums’ days-off, and the traffic situation in the city.
- Admission to all the museums in the program
- Professional guide for 1 day
- A/C vehicle (Mercedes or VW) with driver for 1 day
- Photo/video permit at the museums
- All port fees
- All local taxes
- Blanket visa
- One bottle of water per person per day
Price doesn’t include:
- Cost of lunch. It's recommended to add lunch if your group is 8 people+. The additional cost is $20 per person per 1 lunch/ or $30 per person per 1 lunch in an upscale restaurant
- Tips for guide (10% of the tour cost) and driver (5% of the tour cost)
|The number of people||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14||15||16||17||18||19||20|
|Price in USD p/p||590||380||315||250||227||205||200||195||187||180||175||170||165||160||150||140||139||138||137||136|
|The number of people||21||22||23||24||25||26||27||28||29||30||31||32||33||34||35||36||37||38||39||40+|
|Price in USD p/p||135||134||133||132||131||130||129||128||127||126||125||124||123||122||121||120||119||118||117||116|